Skype is a telecommunications application that specializes in providing video chat and voice calls between computers, tablets, mobile devices, the Xbox One console, and smartwatches via the Internet. Skype also provides instant messaging services. Users may transmit both text and video messages, and may exchange digital documents such as images, text, and video. Skype allows video conference calls.
Skype operated under the auspices of Microsoft from May 2011 until November 2018. Since then, it has been an independent division of Microsoft. The name for Skype was derived from “sky” and “peer”.
Skype provides a software application that allows users to make voice and video calls and chat over the Internet. Calls to other users within the Skype service are free, while calls to both traditional landline telephones and mobile phones can be made for a fee using a debit-based user account system. Skype has also become popular for its additional features, such as file transfer, video conferencing, voicemail, and text messaging. Skype’s text messaging service features group chat, emoticons, and is available on multiple platforms including Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS, Symbian/S60, and Windows.
Skype for Business Server 2015 is a unified communications platform that integrates with Microsoft Exchange Server and Office 365. The latest version of Skype for Business Server 2019 was released in October 2018.
HISTORY AND ORIGIN
Skype was founded in 2003 by Niklas Zennström, from Sweden, and Janus Friis, from Denmark. The Skype software was created by Estonians Ahti Heinla, Priit Kasesalu, and Jaan Tallinn. The first public beta version was released on 29 August 2003. In June 2005, Skype entered into an agreement with the major commercial Internet service provider AOL to offer its service in conjunction with AOL’s AIM and ICQ instant messaging products.
In May 2011, Microsoft Corporation acquired Skype Communications, Inc. for $8.5 billion. The acquisition was completed on 13 October 2011.
Since its inception, Skype has had several notable features and technologies that have made it popular. Some of these include:
- SkypeOut: this allows users to call regular phone numbers (landlines and mobile phones) for a fee
- SkypeIn: this gives users a regular phone number that can be used to receive calls from regular phones
- Skype Voicemail: users can record a message for their contacts if they are unavailable to answer their call
- Skypecasts: live, moderated audio/video broadcasts for community discussion (discontinued in 2008)
- Video Calling: Skype allows free video calls between users as well as paid video calls to regular phones
- Skype for Business: a business-oriented version of Skype that integrates with Microsoft products
Skype has come under some criticism in recent years for its security and privacy practices. In July 2014, Microsoft was accused of allowing the US National Security Agency (NSA) to access Skype user data. In November 2014, Skype was banned in China. In 2015, it was revealed that the NSA had been using Skype to conduct surveillance on users. However, Skype has taken steps to improve its security and privacy, and it is now considered to be a secure platform.
How to send a voice message on skyp
To record and send a voice message on Skype:
1. Click the + icon next to your contact’s name in your chat list.
2. Select Record voice message.
3. A recording window will open – press the Record button to start recording your message. You can also preview your message by pressing the Play button.
4. Once you’re finished recording, press the Stop button.
5. You can then choose to send the message or cancel it. If you decide to send it, your contact will receive an audio file of your voice message. They can play it back at any time.
Optimize Your Streaming Microphone Setup for Professional Quality Audio
Encryption And Decryption Methods For Secure Communication
How to Promote an Instagram Page that is Bound to a Certain Location: a Tool that Works in 2023