If you are starting or expanding a business in Utah, you will likely need to obtain a business license. The process of getting a business license in Utah can be confusing, so we have put together this guide to help you through it. In this guide, we will explain what is required to get a business license in Utah and provide some tips on how to make the process as easy as possible.
What is a business license and what is it used for
In Utah, a business license is required for any business that operates within the state. The license is obtained through the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code. The purpose of the business license is to ensure that businesses are operating legally and compliant with state regulations.
how to get a business license in utah
To get a business license in Utah, you will need to submit an application to the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code. The application must include the following information:
- The business name and address
- The type of business
- The names of the owners and officers
- A description of the business activity
- The length of time the business has been in operation
- The expected date of business commencement
- The estimated annual gross income
- The anticipated number of employees
- The business phone number
In addition to the above information, you will also need to submit the following documents:
- A certificate of good standing from the Utah Department of Commerce
- A surety bond
- A certificate of workers’ compensation insurance
- An employer identification number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service
- A copy of the business registration from the Utah Secretary of State’s Office
After you have gathered all of the required information and documents, you can submit your application online or by mail. Once your application has been received, it will be reviewed by the Division of Corporations and Commercial Code. If everything is in order, you will be issued a business license.
What is the cost of getting a business license in Utah, and how long does it take to process the application?
The cost of getting a business license in Utah is $100. The processing time for the application is typically 4-6 weeks.
Are there any restrictions on who can get a business license in Utah?
There are no restrictions on who can get a business license in Utah. However, there are some businesses that require special licenses or permits in addition to the business license. These businesses include, but are not limited to, those that sell alcohol, tobacco, or firearms; provide medical or health care services; engage in construction; or offer public transportation.
It is important to note that even if your business does not require a special license or permit, you may still need to obtain other licenses and permits from the state or local government. These can include, but are not limited to, building permits, health department permits, and zoning permits.
Tips for getting a business license in Utah
- Start the process early: It can take 4-6 weeks to process a business license application, so it is important to start the process as early as possible.
- Gather all required information and documents before beginning the application: This will save you time and ensure that you do not have to resubmit your application.
- Submit your application online or by mail: You can submit your application online or by mail. If you submit it online, you will need to create an account with the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code.
- -Contact the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code if you have any questions: The Division of Corporations and Commercial Code can be reached at 801-530-4849.